Orientation Day
The day had finally arrived. The first day of my job. Hopefully this would be a mark to a successful career that would be a springboard to growing into a career that I was born to live out everyday.The first day held some excitement as well as question, very similar to the first day of high school. First, the new people that you would share this day with could turn into a friend, a role very much missed in this new environment. Secondly, dressing to impress would also be important as this marks your first day as a member of the company. Lastly, all the questions about what to expect and what would be expected of you could finally be answered. For my first day, I arrived….a little late.
Despite waking up early and having a set plan in motion for the steps it would take to get ready for this big day, I still couldn’t find an outfit that seemed to shout out what I wanted to express for the day. Professional, yet comfortable and still an expression of me. Finally, after realizing I only had 20 minutes to get to my location, I rushed out the door and ran down the street with my high heels clicking as I strived to make it to the building on time. Finally arriving to the office building, just a little out of breath, I was blessed to find some lotion in my bag that would cover the slightly sweaty aroma of my jog to work. With enough time to primp while on the elevator, I was able to re-gain my confidence as I met the lovely recruiters that chose to hire me. The recruiters were gracious enough, not to notice my few minutes of tardiness and gave me the packets that would help guide me through the rest of the day and me become oriented with this fine institution.
Orientation day as well as the two orientation weeks that followed didn’t feel so different from school. For the majority of our days, we would sit in a classroom and wait as various lectures shared with us their knowledge about the institution, the vision and values of the company as well as the expectation and roles we were expected to play. It was nice to have a steady integration into employment as well as become acquainted with the other new employees, which made the whole transition more manageable. I had hoped through these budding relationships, I would be able to make a friend or two, and although these individuals had potential, each seemed to already be rooted into some type of stability with either a boyfriend, husband, etc., which seemed to mark them out as an exploring buddy to see what the new city had to offer. With these relationships, I knew it would take time, but I also didn’t want to put all my eggs in one basket, which caused me to find other avenues to meeting new people in the city.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home